Thursday 17 September 2015

Documentary



Documentary Campaign "Like a Girl"
The purpose of this short campaign documentary is to make the saying "like a girl" a positive thing rather than a negative thing. When girls grow up they are told they throw "like a girl" or run "like a girl" and it has a huge impact on girl's self confidence and the campaign aim is to stop that. The video show teenage girls acting out different things "like a girl". The initial feeling is negative  but after it shows younger girls acting out things "like a girl" and they do it in a positive way, showing how the different generation react to the phrase.  

I think that the documentary has a really big effect as half of the world are women and have probably grown up with similar remarks said to them. I think that the majority of the audience can relate to the documentary. The video has had over 59,000,000 views on youtube, meaning a lot of people have seen it. Also similar campaigns have come out after this video for example "this girl can". I think that a lot of people have started to make it a positive phrase and help young girls do want they want to do and not be afraid of doing it.

My personal response to this documentary is that I relate to it very much. When I was younger I loved sports, tennis, basketball and football and the phrase "like a girl" came up a lot in my childhood and it was never a good thing. So seeing this short documentary was really good for me as I hope that it changes the phrase for young girls growing up, I hope that "like a girl" is used in a positive way today and in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment